In talking up having another brother to Callie one of the things I mentioned was not having to share her room. That didn't work as planned since she really wanted to share her room and have bunk beds. So we began the process of organizing her room and making it Chase friendly. With her having her big closet to have her more special things in. The plan is to have Callie's room and then the boys' room. But for the first couple years we will store Callie's bed and have the bunk beds in her room where Chase will sleep. His clothes, etc will stay in his room but he will sleep in her room. This will give us the boys' room for a nursery and then when the crib is ready to be put away we will move the bunk beds into the boys' room for them. By then I have a feeling Callie will be more than ready to have her room and bed back.
So Friday night began the bunk bed experience. Let me back up and say Chase has been in a LONG phase of fighting bed time. Right now he is not fighting bathes, brushing his teeth, getting dressed but bed time is the fight of choice. I hate all the "phases" of battles but to me bed time battles are the worst since it just ends everyone's night on a bad note. Anyway I figured we had nothing to lose since it was hard already but I also did not want to keep Callie up. So we were pretty scared going into the process.
The first night he threw a fit but nothing more than normal as of late and fell asleep pretty quickly. Callie on the other hand could not but since it was a vacation day she got up and helped me decorate Chase's birthday cake for the party the next day and then went to bed no problem. Chase then woke up early on in the night screaming - I think he didn't know where he was - turned on the light in Callie's room - and thru a major fit not wanting to go back to bed anywhere. I admit I was tired and didn't do what I should have done but ended up getting him to sleep in Max's spot for the rest of the night.
Night two was after his birthday party and he had no nap! So I rocked him to sleep in Callie's room in no time and laid him down. He again woke up around midnight but this time I worked to get him back down in the bunk beds - he didn't throw much of a fit and went back down for the night in his bunk bed.
Sunday night took a little longer to get to bed but with the threat of having to go back to his room and sleep in his old bed we settled the fit down. And they both slept all night!!! Callie was cute as when I was telling him he would just have to go back to his old bed in his room she said but I don't want him to. He didn't either which worked out well.
Monday night he laid right down but we had to have a bid of a fit with his flash light being turned on. After that he went right to sleep. Callie had trouble and ended up laying in our bed with me and then Shannon took her to bed when he was ready to go. I think she is just adjusting! I can't remember if they slept all night or he got up once quickly but either way it was a good night.
Last night was the easiest yet so I am hopeful we can get into that routine - they are probably just teasing me though and getting my hopes up. If we could keep going like last night it would be a definite improvement over what we had been fighting. I am laying on the floor beside the bed while he goes to sleep but since I am on the floor and not getting out of his bed I can get out once he goes to sleep easily and so far he has fallen right to sleep. I think some of that is what is bothering Callie though. She loves the bunk beds though and is happy as could be with them. She said they were even cooler than she thought they would be.
So we will see how it goes from here! I am still nervous each night to see how it goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment