CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Hand Foot Mouth Disease

The babysitter called me about 11 on Monday, September 9th that Cole had just gotten sick.  She said he had been fine so she was just going to watch him.  I ran and picked Chase up from preschool for her while she cleaned Cole up.  I had no more gotten back to work and she called to say he was sick again.  By the time I got there he was pathetic - had gotten sick yet again and would do nothing but lay on your shoulder.  We spent most of the afternoon in the chair together, expect for a short nap in the crib.  He got sick several more times but no fever so I thought just another stomach bug - he had just had one in August!  I had a board meeting that night and just as I was getting ready to go, he had a fever - a high one.  I told Shannon that I had to go to work but that if his mom took Callie to cheerleading, his dad watched Chase, he could take Cole to quick care as I was afraid it might be strep.  Not sure why, just thought so.  Cole was lethargic and sick enough Shannon did take him.  He was not impressed with who he saw but got antibiotics for an ear infection - they didn't test for strep as his throat was red but the antibiotics for the ear infection would get it if it was.  John and Linda watched the kids the next day.  When I got home they brought the kids over and said Cole was developing a rash.  It didn't look like a reaction to the antibiotics to me but more like staff infection.  But it was all over  -  Chase had the antibiotic resistant staff infection in his ear so I was kinda freaked.  Off to urgent care this time for another opinion.  We spent most of the evening there they were so busy.  The diagnosis was ear infection and hand/foot/mouth disease - it hadn't been broke out the day before as it was just starting with fever.  They did change his antibiotic to one that was more for staff to treat his ear infection just in case and for the sores.  Nothing to do for the hand/foot/mouth but to wear it out.  I guess it is often not too big of a deal but Cole must have gotten a bad case.  He looked horrible and was so uncomfortable.  Finally on Friday he smiled and acted a little better.  Saturday he acted pretty much fine and it just started to dry up.  He still two weeks later has the spots and his fingers and toes totally peeled off like a bad blister.  These pics do not do it justice.  He went back to day care a week later - the spots were dried up but he looked interesting ;-)  Actually he still does look a little interesting.

We missed out on going to the Kincaid Fair this year as Cole was still so sick.  We had planned to go up Friday and spend the night but that just wasn't going to happen.  The kids took it well.  They could even see Cole was pathetic and understood.  It also helped that I took them on Saturday evening to the school carnival.  They had a great time there while Cole stayed home with Daddy.  They had no idea at the time, actually neither did we, but we ended up getting Chief that Saturday too.  I probably missed the fair and getting to see everyone more than anyone else.














No comments:

Post a Comment